HSLC Exam Que Paper English 2016
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions:
Full Marks: 80 Time: 3 Hours
1. (a) Choose the meaning of the underlined (italic) word in the following sentence from among the alternatives given in brackets: 1
(a) Send me the rest, since I need it very much.
(relax / remaining part / be buried)
(b) State whether the following are true or false: 1+1
(i) On the day of the inauguration, Mandela was accompanied by his daughter Zenari.
(ii) Thabo Mbki was sworn in as the second deputy president.
(c) Choose the correct answer from among the alternatives given and complete the sentence: 1
Coorg or Kodagu, the smallest district of Karnataka, is home to…………
(i) thick grassland, camels and indigo plantations.
(ii) evergreen rainforests, spices and coffee plantations.
(iii) dark clouds, thick fog and tea plantations.
2. Where was Lencho’s home situated ? 1
3. Who was the first chief of the Indian Army? 1
4. According to Mandela, between love and hate which comes more naturally to human heart ? 2
5. What are the sports that Coorg offers to tourists ? 2
6. ‘‘But don’t send it to me through the mail because the post office employees are a bunch of crooks.”
What made Lencho think that the post office employees were a bunch of crooks ? 2
7. Give a description of Dhekiabari tea-garden as seen by Pranjal and Rajvir when they were driven through it. 3
8. What was Valli’s favourite pastime ? 2
9. Choose from the box given below the words that rhyme with the following:1×2
taste, rest, cage, loud, fresh, mouse, vague
10. Choose the meaning of the underlined (italic) words from the alternatives given in the brackets: 1×2
(a) They do not sweat and whine about their condition.
(sing loudly / complain in an annoying voice/cry in joy)
(b) I wonder where they get those tokens.
(feel happy / feel sorry / feel very surprised)
11. What does Sandburg think the fog is like? 1
12. How does the fog come ? 1
13. What would the tiger have been doing if it were in its natural habitat ? 2
14. How old, do you think Amanda is? How do you know this? 1+1=2
15. (a) Briefly describe how Ausable defeated Max’s scheme to take away the report. 5
(b) How did the young lady trick HoraceDanby? 5
16. (a) Briefly describe the extraordinary behaviour of Mrs Hall’s furniture.5
(b) Give a brief description of the first meeting between Bill and the young lawyer. 5
`17. Fill in the blanks with the write determiners. ½×4=2
(a) Ramen comes home twice …… month.
(b) Mr Bell rang……….. Bell of alarm and I woke up.
(c) A busy person……….time to waste.
(d) Only…………of the application were found suitable.
18. Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions from the choices given in the brackets: ½×4=2
(a) The cow lives……….grass. (by / from / on)
(b) He lives……….hand to mouth. (on / from / by).
(c) He is appointed……….the post. (in / to / at)
(d) She is junior……….me by three years. (to / from / than)
19. Use correct tense forms of the verbs given in brackets and rewrite the sentences: 1×2=2
(a) It is time we (go) to bed.
(b) She behaves as if she (know) everything.
20. Change the forms of narration of the following: 1×2=2
(a) “Can you drive a car ?” I said to Rahim.
(b) The stranger asked me if I could tell him the way to the post office.
21. Change the voice of the following sentences:1×2=2
(a) The students elected him secretary.
(b) The stage was decorated by the students.
22. Combine each of the following pairs of sentences in a single sentence: 1×2=2
(a) The moon is round. It has been proved.
(b) Where does he live? Do you know it?
23. Choose the correct alternative from the choices given in the bracket and fill in the blank: 1
(a) My warning had no………on the boy. (affect / effect)
(b) He………..to accept the money. (refused / denied)
24. Make sentences to illustrate the meaning of any two of the following: 1×2=2
bring up, look for, give up, look after
25. Correct the errors in the following sentences: (any two) 1×2=2
(a) The sceneries of Arunachal Pradesh is charming.
(b) I am feeling cold.
(c) Bread and butter make a good breakfast.
(d) The news are true.
26. (a) Translate into English:(any one group of the following)
(i) এইখন কিতাপ মোৰ আৰু সেইখন তোমাৰ।
(ii) সোণ এবিধ মূল্যবান ধাতু।
(iii) অনুগ্ৰহ কৰি তেওঁক দৰজাখন খুলিব কোৱা।
(iv) তেওঁ যেতিয়া আহিছিল মই বাতৰি কাকত পঢ়ি আছিলোঁ।
(v) আলিবাট পাৰ হওঁতে সাৱধান হ’বা।
(b) Give the substance of the following passage: 5
It is very difficult to get rid of bad habits. So, one should be very careful that one does not form bad habits during the early years of life. Idleness is one such bad habits. Every boy and girl should be diligent. They should avoid idleness like poison. Some of them love to remain in bed long after daybreak and get out of bed most unwillingly. Even after that they waste time over trifles and spend as little time as they can in reading. As a result, they cannot learn much as they should. What is worse, they become so accustomed to such a bad habit that they cannot shake it off – even with their greatest efforts. This bad habits then hold them hard in its coils like a large snake.
27. Write in about 150 words an essay on any one of the following topics: 6
(a) The festival your like most.
(b) Television as a source of knowledge.
Write a story in about 150 words using the outline given below and add a title to it. 6
A hungry fox sees a crow with a piece of meat——–wishes to have the piece of meat———-praises the crow——–asks the crow to sing-the crow sings —— the piece of meat falls down from her break ——-the fox pics it up and runs away.
28. Answer either (a) or (b) : 5
(a) Write a letter to your friend telling him about your daily life.
(b) Write a report for a newspaper on the basis of the information given below:
(i) 20- 11- 2015
(iii) The Guwahati Book Fair commenced.
(iv) Opened by the Hon’ble Governor of Assam.
(v) Publishers from the state and outside it participated.
(vi) Nice opening function- large gathering and good sale expected.
29. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow:
(a) Paper is one of the most important articles that we use in our day to day life. If there had been no paper our civilisation would not have progressed so fast. Great scientists write their thoughts on paper first and then carry out their experiments. Great engineers draw their plans on paper first and then build houses, bridges, dams and so on. Great thoughts are written or printed on paper for everyone to read. If there were no paper we would not have all the good books that are available in the world. Without paper, it would be difficult for the people of one country to know about the people of another country.
(i) Mention three uses of paper. 1
(ii) Why is paper the most essential thing for mankind? 2
(iii) What would have happened if there were no paper? 2
(b) Read the following extract carefully and answer the questions that follow:
It was a new bus, its outside painted a gleaming white with some green stripes along the sides. Inside, the overhead bars shone like silver. Directly in front of Valli, above the windshield, there was a beautiful clock. The seats were soft and luxurious.
Valli devoured everything with her eyes. But when she started to look outside, she found her view cut off by canvas blind that covered the lower part of her window. So she stood up and peered over the blind. The bus was now going along the bank of the canal. The road was very narrow. On one side there was a canal and beyond it, palm trees, grassland, distant mountains, and the blue sky. On the other side was a deep ditch and then acres and acres of greenfield- green, green, green, as far as the eye could see.
(i) What was the inside of the bus like ? 2
(ii) Why did Valli stand up on the seat ? 1
(iii) What could be seen outside as the bus was going along the bank of a canal ? 2
0 0 0
N.B. We are gratitful to SEBA, Govt. of Assam
ৰাব্বি মছৰুৰ ৰচিত কেইখনমান গ্রন্থ:
- অসমীয়া লেখক পৰিচয়
- অসমীয়া ৰচনা শিক্ষা
- অসমীয়া ভাব সম্প্রসাৰণ
- এক গুচ্ছ জীৱনী
- পৃথিৱীৰ আৰু মোৰ (কাব্য সংকলন)
- হীৰেন ভট্টাচাৰ্যৰ কবিতা -এক বিশ্লেষণাত্মক অধ্যয়ন
- ইছমাইল হোছেইনৰ কবিতা : এক বৈশিষ্ট্যমূলক আলোচনা
- ইছমাইল হোছেইনৰ কবিতা : এক বিশ্লেষণাত্মক অধ্যয়
- মৌলানা আবুল কালাম আজাদ (চমু জীবনী)