HSLC Exam Que Paper English 2020
HSLC Exam Que Paper English 2020
Full Marks: 80
Time: 3 Hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions:
1. (a) Choose the meaning of the underlined word in the following sentence from among the alternatives given in brackets:1
All of us will spend many years, if not generations, recovering from that profound hurt.
(light and vain/ abnornal/ deep and strong)
(b) State whether the following statements are true or false. (Reference: Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom): 1+1=2
(i) On the day of inauguration, Mandela was overwhelmed with a sense of freedom.
(ii) On the day of inauguration, Mandela was overwhelmed with a sense of history.
(c) Choose the correct answer from among the alternatives given and complete the sentence: 1
Mandela’s country is rich ……………… .
(i) in forests and lakes
(ii) in minerals and gems
(iii) in agriculture.
2. What was the hope of Lencho?1
3. What is a Kuffia? Who wears it? 2
4. When did Mandela begin to hunger for freedom? 2
5. What did Lencho say to his sons after the hailstorm? 2
6. Give a description of the magnificent view of a tea garden seen by Rajib from the railway train. 3
7. What did Valli see on her way that made her laugh? 2
8. What does the writer say about the Coorg Regiment? 2
9. What did the postmaster do after he had received Lencho’s letter? 2
10. Why did Valli find the old woman who sat beside her in the bus ‘absolutely repulsive’? 2
11. Choose from the box given below the words that rhyme with the following: 1+1=2
(grey, wagon, stairs, bears, cage, cries)
12. Choose the meaning of the underlined words from the alternatives given in the brackets: 1+1=2
(a) ………… they are so placid and self-contained.
(irritated/ troublesome/ unruffled)
(b) ………….. not one is demented with the mania .
(mad/ dishonest/ displeased)
13. Is Amanda a student? How do you know? 1+1=2
14. What would the tiger have done if he were in his natural habitat, the forest? 2
15. What is a harbour and how is it related to fog? 2
16. How did Castard the Dragon save Belinda from the pirate? 2
17. (a) Between Ausable and Max, who do you think is more intelligent and why? 4+1= 5
(b) Who is Horace Danby? What type of a man is he?
18 (a) Describe Griffin’s experience in Drury Lane. 5
(b) Who is Bill? How did he befool the young lawyer?
19. Fill in the blanks with the right determiners: ½×4=2
(a) They won the mach without ………… difficulty.
(b) Reading is ……………. useful hobby.
(c) I gave him ……………….. books I had.
(d) Kalidas is …………………….. Shakespeare of India.
20. Fill in the blanks with correct preposition from among the choices given in the brackers: ½×4=2
(a) They are satisfied ………………….. your works. (by/ at/ with)
(b) Man does not live …………… bread alone (on/ by/ with)
(c) Rita excels ……………… dancing. (at/ by/ in)
(d) He is looking ………………… a domestic help. (to/ in/ for)
21. Rewrite the following sentences putting the verbs in the brackets in their correct tense form: 1×3=3
(a) I (go) there before she went.
(b) Ten years (pass) since I met you last.
(c) When she came I (write ) a letter.
22. Change the narration of the following: 1×2=2
(a) Rashid asked me if I knew Rahim.
(b) Mother said to me, “What will you do after the examination?”
23. Change the voice of the following: 1×2=2
(a) I do not know his brother.
(b) English is spoken by many people all over the world.
24. Combine each of the following pairs of sentences into a single sentence: 1×2=2
(a) Where has he gone? Do you know it?
(b) I finished the work. I was taking rest.
25. Choose the correct alternative from the choices given in the brackets and write out the sentences: 1×2=2
(a) The tiger is a beast of (pray/ prey).
(b) This medicine will (relief/ relieve) you of your pain.
26. Make sentences to illustrate the meaning of any two of the following:
make out, give away, deal in, cary out.
27. Correct the errors in any three of the following sentences: 1×3=3
(a) Her son-in-laws are rich men.
(b) It is raining since morning.
(c) How you know him?
(d) I and he are brothers.
(e) He is senior than me in age.
(f) I don not know to do it.
28. (a) Translate into English:(any one group of the following) 1×6=6
(i) আকাশত মেঘ নাছিল।
(ii) শিক্ষকজনে কৈছিল, “সদায় সঁচা কথা কবা।”
(iii) তুমি নৈখন সাঁতুৰি পাৰ হ’ব পাৰিবানে·
(iv) প্ৰতিজ্ঞা ৰক্ষা কৰিব লাগে।
(v) মৌ খাবলৈ মিঠা।
(vi) মোৰ এটা কলমৰ প্ৰয়োজন।
(b) Give the substance of the following passage: 5
Man is the maker of his fortune. We cannot prosper in life if we are afraid of labour. People generally think that success in life depends on luck. This is not true. Men of science have toiled day and night to invent radio, television, telephone which have added to joy of our life. Life is not a bed of roses. Life willl be miserable if we shrink from labour and fail to earn money enough to meet our daily expenses. Industry is the secret of success not only for an individual but also for a nationl. China and America are the most powerful rations of the world today. They have attained such power and position by virtue of the earnest labour of their people. We, Indians too, must work hard if we want to raise the prestige of our country in the eyes of the world.
29. Write in about 150 words an essay on any one of the following topics: 6
(a) Science in Everyday Life.
(b) Travelling as a part of Education.
Write a story in about 150 words using the outlines given below. Add a title to it. 6
(Outline): A hungry fox sees a crow with a piece of meat — wanted to get the piece — praises the crow– asks the crow to sing — the crow sings — the piece of meat falls down from its beak — the fox picks it up and runs away.
30. Answer either (a) or (b) : 5
(a) Suppose you are the General Secretary of the Students’ Union of your school. Write an application to the Principal requesting him to grant a half holiday on the occasion of the Kati Bihu Festival.
(b) Write a report to a local daily on the basis of the information given below:
(ii) Annual prize day of your school.
(iii) A festive atmosphere in the school.
(iv) The Education Minister was the Chief Guest.
(v) The President gave away the prizes and gave an encouraging speech.
31. (a) Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow:
Three-fourth of the Earh is covered by the sea which both separates and unites the various races of mankind. The sea is the great highway along which man may travel at his will, the great road that has no walls or hedges hemming it in. Nobody needs to keep it in good repair with the help of pickaxe and battles of tar and steamrollers. The sea appeals to man’s love of the prilous and the unknown, to his love of conquest , hislove of knowledge and hislove of gold, Its blue waters call to him and bid him fare forth in quest of fresh fields. Beyond their horizon he has found danger and death, glory and gain.
(i) How much of our planet is not covered by he sea? 1
(ii) How does the sea help man? 2
(iii) In What way does the sea appeal to man? 2
(b) Read the following extract carefully and answer the questions that follow:
The river, Kaveri, obtains its water from the hills and forests of Coorg. Mahaseer- a large freshwater fish – abound in these waters. Kingfishers dive for their catch while squirrels and langurs drop partially eaten fruit for the mischief of enjoying the splash and ripple effect in the clear water. Elephants enjoy being bathed and scrubbed in the river by their mahouts.
The most lid-back individuals become converts to the life of high energy adventure with river rafting, canoeing, rapelling, rock-climbing and mountain biking. Numerous walking trails in this region are a favourite with trekkers.
(i) From where does the river Kaveri obtain its water? 2
(ii) How do the various birds and beasts enjoy in the stream of Kaveri? 2
(iii) Name the various sports favourite with the visitors to tis place. 2
0 0 0