H.S. 2nd Yr Final Exam Que Paper English 2017
H S 2nd Yr Final Exam Que Paper English 2017
Full Marks: 100
Time: 3 Hours
1. Read the following passage carefully:
Today’s woman is a highly self-directed person, alive to a sense of her dignity and the importance of her functions in the private domestic domain and the public domain of the world of work. Women are rational in approach, careful in handling situation and want to do things as best as possible. The Fourth World Conference of Women held in Beijing in September 1995 had emphasised that no enduring solution of society’s most threatening social, economic and political problems could be found without participation and empowerment of women. The 1995 World Summit for Social Development had also emphasised the pivotal role of women in eradicating poverty and mending the social fabric.
The constitution of India had conferred on women rights and opportunities – political, social, educational and of employment – with men. Because of oppressive traditions, superstitions, exploitation and corruption, a majority of women are not allowed to enjoy the rights and opportunities, bestowed on them. One of the major reasons for this state of affairs is the lack of literacy and awareness among women. Education is the main instrument through which we can narrow down the prevailing inequality and accelerate the progress of economic and political change in the status of women.
The role of women in a society is very important. Women’s education is the key to a better life in the future. A recent World Bank study says that educating a girl is not charity, it is good economics and if developing nations are to eradicate poverty, they must educate the girls. The report says that the economic and social returns on investment in the education of the girls considerably affect the human development index of the nation, Society would progress only if the status of women is respected and the presence of an educated woman in the family would ensure the education of the family itself. Education and empowerment of women are closely related.
On the basis of your reading of the passage answer the following questions :
(a) Mention some of the qualities of today’s women? 2
(b) Where was the Fourth World Conference of women held and what did it emphasise? 2
(c) What factors prevent a majority of women from enjoying their rights and opportunities? 2
(d) What can education do for the cause of women? 2
(e) What is the observation of World Bank on girl education? 2
(Advanced Writing Skills: 25)
2. Design a poster for the World Environment Day creating awareness among the people about the threats of environmental degradation. (Maximum 50 words) 5
You are Binod / Seema, the Cultural General Secretary of St. Anthony’s College, Guwahati. Draft a notice, in not more than 50 words, for the notice board informing the students about the Inter-College Song and Dance Competition that your institution is going to organise.
3. You recently visited some flood-affected areas of Dhemaji District. As a press reporter of an English Daily, write a report on the flood situation in 100-125 words. You are Amar/ Nitu. 10
You are Gopal / Anita of Govt. Higher Secondary School, Karimganj. Your school has organised a Blood Donation Camp on the occasion of its Golden Jubilee Celebrations. Write a report in 100-125 words as an editor for your school magazine, on this widely acclaimed activity. 10
4. Write a letter to the editor of an English Daily drawing the attention of the authorities concerned to the menace of reckless driving in your town. You are Mukut/ Ayesha. 10
You are Rita/ Gourav. You have seen an advertisement for the post of a sales executive in a reputed company. Write an application to the Regional Director of the Company in response to the advertisement applying for the post. 10
5. Change the form of narration in the following sentences: 2×2=4
(a) The boy said to the teacher, “Sir, I am weak in English and seek your advice.” “Read the text thoroughly and try to express your ideas in simple correct English.” said the teacher.
(b) My friend told me that he was very thirsty and requested me to give him a glass of water.
6. Change the voice of any three of the following sentences: 3×1=3
(a) Football is played everywhere.
(b) Do the work immediately.
(c) Who opened the door?
(d) I have lost the book.
(e) The coach is training the players.
7. Rewrite any five of the following sentences using the verbs given in brackets in their correct tense forms: 5×1=5
(a) Recently the price of petrol ………. (go) up.
(b) I …………. (do) a lot of work today.
(c) The train ………………. (leave) before we reach the station.
(d) I wish my brother ………….. (be) here.
(e) As ……………… (cross) the road a bus knocked him down.
(f) I …………… (think) of going abroad for quite sometime.
(g) This paper ………….. (appear) twice a week.
8. Rewrite any four of the following sentences filling in the blanks with appropriate prepositions: 4×1=4
(a) I met him …………. the road.
(b) I congratulate you ……….. your success.
(c) John was annoyed ………………… his mother.
(d) The work should be finished ……………….. next Friday.
(e) We are not interested ……….. your story.
(f) He was frightened…………… the noise.
9. Rewrite any four of the sentences as directed: 4×1=4
(a) The Brahmaputra is the longest river in India. (Change into positive degree).
(b) Everybody wishes to be happy. (Make it interrogative).
(c) Only Ram was present there. (Make it negative without changing the meaning).
(d) He desired that I should go there. (make it a simple sentence.
(e) He is so lazy that he cannot shine in life. (Make it a simple sentence).
(f) Having done his work he left the place. (Make it a compound sentence).
10. Read one of the following extracts and answer the questions that follow :
(a) “The little old house was out
with a little shed
In front at the edge of the road
where the traffic sped,
A road-side stand that too pathetically pled,
It would not be fair to say a dole of bread,
But for some cities from sinking
and withering faint.”
(i) Where was the shed put up? 1
(ii) What was its purpose? 1
(iii) Why does the poet use the word ‘pathetic’?1
(iv) Who are referred to as ‘the flowers of cities’?1
(b)‘‘Those who prepare green wars,
Wars with gas, wars with fire,
and walk about with their brothers
in the shade, doing nothing.”
(i) What are the different kinds of wars mentioned by the poet in the passage? 1
(ii) What kind of victory do they achieve? 1
(iii) Who are the brothers mentioned in the stanza?
(iv) Find words in the given stanza that mean ‘those left alive’ and ‘win’. 1
11. Answer any three of the following questions in 30-40 word: 3×2=6
(i) How is a thing of beauty a joy forever?
(ii) Why does the poet Neruda ‘wish to count to twelve’?
(iii) What do the young spriting trees signify?
(iv) What are being sold in the Road-side stand?
(v) What is the ‘Childish longing’ that the poet refers to? Why is it in vain?
(vi) Why has the mother been compared to the ‘late winter’s moon’?
12. Answer any five of the following questions: 5×1=5
(a) What was written in the new copies brought by M. Hamel for the students in a beautiful round hand?
(b) What does the ‘garbage’ mean for the elders of Seemapuri?
(c) Where does Mukesh live?
(d) Where did John Rowntree and his family make their first home at Guwahati?
(e) Whom did Gandhi and Shukla want to meet at Patna?
(f) Who is Geoff?
(g) Which was the only occasion when Sophie got to see Danny Casey in person?
13. Answer any five of the following questions in 30-40 words: 5×2-10
(a) Why did Franz want to spend his day out of doors?
(b) Why did M. Hamel not blame Franz alone for his inability to learn?
(c) What is the significance of bangles in Indian society?
(d) What does Rowntree say about the river banks in the Manas Sanctuary?
(e) What was the incident that prompted Gandhi to raise his voice of protest against the British?
(f) What are the other options that Sophie dreams of besides owning a boutique?
(g) What job is Geoff engaged in? Does he entertain wild and impractical dreams like his sister does?
14. Answer any one of the following questions in 80-100 words: 1×5=5
(a) Describe the unusual things that Franz noticed on the day of the last lesson.
(b) Describe the miserable plight of people of Firozabad.
(c) Describe the exploitation of the indigo sharecroppers by the English landlords. Did Gandhi help them to get an honourable settlement?
15. Answer any one of the following questions in 125-150 words: 1×7=7
(a) Why Antarctica the place to go understand the earth’s present, past and future?
Bama’s experience is that of a victim of the caste system. What kind of discrimination does Zitkala Sa’s experience depict? What are their responses to their respective situation?
16. Answer any four of the following questions in 30-40 words:
(a) What did the chief astrologer predict about the Tiger King?
(b) What is Gondwana?
(c) Why and how did Derry enter Mr Lamb’s garden?
(d) Why does Derry go back to Mr. lamb in the end?
(e) When did Bama experience untouchability?
(f) What was Zitkala’s idea regarding short shingled hair?
H S 2nd Yr Final Exam Que Paper English 2017
0 0 0
N. B. We are grateful to Assam Higher Secondary Education Council, Govt of Assam.
H S 2nd Yr Final Exam Que Paper English 2017
- Assam Higher Secondary Education Council-Wikipedia
- AHSEC Test Books
- H S Final Exam Question Paper
- Ready Guides Seba Archives
- Student’s Helper
- Seba Question Papers
- Welcome to H S Solution
- NCERT Solution Class X English
- Text Books, Solution and Question Papers
- Ready Guide HS 2nd Yr English Prose
ৰাব্বি মছৰুৰ ৰচিত কেইখনমান গ্রন্থ:
- অসমীয়া লেখক পৰিচয়
- অসমীয়া ৰচনা শিক্ষা
- অসমীয়া ভাব সম্প্রসাৰণ
- এক গুচ্ছ জীৱনী
- পৃথিৱীৰ আৰু মোৰ (কাব্য সংকলন)
- হীৰেন ভট্টাচাৰ্যৰ কবিতা -এক বিশ্লেষণাত্মক অধ্যয়ন
- ইছমাইল হোছেইনৰ কবিতা: এক বৈশিষ্ট্যমূলক আলোচনা
- ইছমাইল হোছেইনৰ কবিতা: এক বিশ্লেষণাত্মক অধ্যয়ন
- মৌলানা আবুল কালাম আজাদ (চমু জীবনী)
- অসমীয়া চুটি গল্প সমালোচনা
- অসমীয়া উপন্যাস সমালোচনা
- বিশ্ব ব্যক্তি পৰিচয়
- হীৰেন ভট্টাচাৰ্যৰ প্রতিনিধিত্বশীল কবিতা (সম্পাদিত)
- মোৰ গীত তোমাৰ সুৰ
- সংহতিৰ ভাড়াঘৰ
- তোমাকে বলছি (বাংলা কবিতা সংকলন)
- তুমি কেমন প্রেমিক
- ফণী শৰ্মাৰ নাটক ‘চিৰাজ’ – এক সমালোচনা
- শিশু পদ্য
- অসমীয়া অনুবাদত বিশ্ব কবিতা
- অসমীয়া অনুবাদত বিদেশী কবিতা
- অসমীয়া অনুবাদত বিশ্ব চুটি গল্প